Friday, February 27, 2009

FInal cupping at Trabocca

Cupped eighteen samples today at the Trabocca office in Addis. Both washed and naturals, much of which was picked up as we drove round and round to all the co-ops they do business with. Winners? Eh. There were a few good coffees. I liked two Shilcho coffees, a washed and a natural. (this natural Shilcho was a coffee I bought in the second eCafe auction in 2006 but rejected it once it came in - it didn't get to the US until four months after the auction and the arrival sample was total garbage.)

Anyway, I requested a few samples be shipped to me at home so I can take another look at the ones I found interesting. I've got a ton of work to do also to figure out which importers are working with which exporters, and who can get their hands on coffees from these co-ops.

Cupping today was tough. Power was out at the office until around noon, so we had to kill time until it came back on and they could get everything roasted. Then we cupped coffees that had been roasted only hours before, many of which were still early samples and will undoubtedly settle as they rest a little more. There were a number of assumptions I had to make about these coffees regarding their true character. I am, of course, a professional, and have all confidence I didn't throw out anything worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment